FB  TWITTER  INSTAGRAM HOME ABOUT FRESH VIBES COVERS REMIXED YOUTUBE FRIDAY

Monday, December 30, 2013

What Albums Got Me Through 2013

Now that you've been exposed to LYED's Favorite EPs & Songs of 2013, it's time for the  *Albums* portion!!! You're probably sick of lists by now, but I hate to break it to you - everyone makes lists when the year wraps up in music. I'm definitely guilty of that, but here's what I've learned - you can't go wrong with sharing music that you're truly passionate about. Below are the albums that I loved and appreciated in 2013 - they're not particularly ranked, but you'll find my #1 at the bottom. If I had the time, I could definitely extend this list but 15 is good enough, right?
 Thanks again for reading! Hope everyone has a safe & wonderful NYE!
-Emz 











TORRES - S/t

Various Artists (Italians Do It Better) - AFTER DARK 2
 

~~~~~
FAVORITE ALBUM OF 2013? 
 
Shulamith is the second album from the Minneapolis band Poliça (released via Mom + Pop Records back in October.) After blowing my mind with their debut album Give You The Ghost, you could definitely say that Shulamith was one of the most anticipated albums of 2013 in my book. The title comes from Shulamith Firestone, a powerful feminist writer from Canada who also serves as a mentor to Channy Leaneagh of the band since Day 1. The album cover signifies an image that’s as eye opening and powerful as what their music truly means to me. It’s one thing if you’ve listened to Poliça, but when you experience their live performance in the flesh or via YouTube, you will know exactly what I’m talking about. With two drummers, a bass player/backing vocalist, and Leaneagh - the lead vocalist of Poliça, it changes the way that you perceive music. 

I will never forget the first time that I saw Poliça during their headlining tour in Philadelphia at Union Transfer. It wasn’t the first time I witnessed two drummers during a live performance, but there was something about the intimate combination of Channy’s vocals & the unique instrumentation that really had an effect on me. 
The album begins with “Chain My Name,” an upbeat introduction to the darkness that starts to creep in with songs such as "Smug" & "Tiff" (which features Justin Vernon of Bon Iver.) The intensity of the album never deflates and eventually leads to my favorite track “Spilling Lines.” There's more of a groove to this album where Give You The Ghost didn't equate to, and often distracts the mind from Leaneagh's deepest lyrics. This album is a roller coaster nonetheless, but believe me- it's worth every second of the ride.

Grab Shulamith on Itunes here!

No comments:

Post a Comment